- This event has passed.
State House News Forum; Marijuana Industry
November 15, 2017 @ 7:30 am - 10:00 am
Join us at a State House News Forum on November 15 at the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education center at 10 Winter Place in Boston, for a lively panel discussion with experts from government, law, and the state’s rapidly evolving marijuana industry about the many challenges and opportunities as Massachusetts navigates the new world of legalization.
· What are the critical hurdles for those looking to enter the business of growing and selling marijuana? Many companies have paid a large application fee to set up shop – do they know what they’re getting into?
· How do regulators and elected officials provide safeguards while still allowing a new industry to grow? Particularly when the Department of Public Health and the Cannabis Control Commission are unclear as to their individual and overlapping roles?
· What lessons can be learned from other states in terms of anticipated new tax revenues and employment issues?
· What will the arrival of recreational marijuana outlets mean for existing medical marijuana dispensaries? In Oregon, they’ve nearly disappeared since legalization brought such competition.
· Will Massachusetts allow co-location for existing medical marijuana dispensaries, allowing them to sell recreational marijuana as well as medical strains? There are inconsistencies regarding this potential in DPH regulations and the statute as presently written.
Cannabis Control Commission Chairman Steven Hoffman will kick off the event with an address. Our panelists — including Senate President Stanley Rosenberg and Kamani Jefferson of the Massachusetts Recreational Consumer Council — will provide important context and insight about the many legal, regulatory and political nuances of legalized marijuana.
Tickets to the Mass. Marijuana Summit cost $20 and can be purchased here.